Picnic Chicken Pitas
A mustard-flavored dressing coats the colorful combination of chicken, broccoli, tomatoes and bacon in this tasty sandwich filling. "It's great for a picnic because you can prepare the filling ahread and assemble the pitas at the picnic site," assures Marla Brenneman of Goshen, Indiana.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 pita pocket halves
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, chicken, cheese and tomato. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard and pepper; pour over the broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Spoon about 3/4 cup into each pita half; top with bacon.
Nutrition Facts2 pita pocket halves: 587 calories, 29g fat (9g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Picnic Chicken Pitas in Quick Cooking July/August 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.