For your next church supper or get-together, try making this cake. The marshmallows makes this recipe extra special and will be a favorite of kids.—Chris Frigon, Michigan City, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 10 large marshmallows, cut in half diagonally
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Place marshmallows cut side up on batter; lightly press into batter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 38-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 279 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Picnic Cake in Country Extra May 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.