For your next church supper or get-together, try making this cake. The marshmallows makes this recipe extra special and will be a favorite of kids.—Chris Frigon, Michigan City, Indiana
Recommended: 12 Shortcake Recipes for Berry Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 10 large marshmallows, cut in half diagonally
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Place marshmallows cut side up on batter; lightly press into batter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 38-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Picnic Cake in Country Extra May 2002, p36