- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water. Add 1 cup strawberries; mash mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in lime zest. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- Cut sponge cakes crosswise in half; trim each to fit in bottoms of four wide-mouth half-pint canning jars. In a small bowl, mix blueberries and remaining strawberries; spoon over cakes. Top with sauce. If desired, serve with whipped topping. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forPicnic Berry Shortcakes
"The Sauce is very good. I used on vanilla ice cream with sliced strawberries. Everyone enjoyed it."
"Had company over for grilling with a picnic theme. I made this with a combo of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. I did use my own shortcake recipe. They looked so cute in the jars. Will definitely be making this again."
"I made the sauce its very simple and tastes good. I used the recipe with mangos & strawberries & black berries.. I think its versatile and we can use any type of fruit we want. I also made my own sponge cake. I think it looks so cute in the picture using jelly jars and I can't wait to try serving them on the 4th of July like this. Thank you."
"Amazing, super good for picnics. Didn't follow the recipe exactly; made my own sponge cakes, and added raspberries to the sauce. Didn't put them in jars, but found another way. I'll definitely make this again."
"Excellent sauce. I made my own shortcake recipe. Didn't put in jars. This is a keeper."
"I only used 1 cup blueberries and used 1 sponge cake per person. Added fat free cool whip. Came out to 188 calories. My family loved it!"
"I doubled the recipe and used angel food cake instead of short cakes. The strawberry mash sauce is DELICIOUS!"
"Strawberry sauce never thickened even tho I followed the directions exactly!"