- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound cooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first 11 ingredients; add the shrimp, onion and bay leaves. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade and bay leaves. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forPickled Shrimp
"Great substitute for normal shrimp cocktail. Great for doing ahead. Next may add more red pepper and pepper sauce for more spice."
"I thought the ingredients used were well balanced and not overpowered with tartness. However, I did modify this recipe to a more Latin taste, by serving this on guacamole topped Tostitos mini bowl chips. I substituted catsup for the tomato paste, reducing the sugar to 1 teaspoon, resulting in the same effective sweetness. I also substituted green onions/scallions for the regular onion and added fresh chopped cilantro to the marinade. I placed the guacamole in the chip bowl, topped it with the shrimp and garnished it with a sprig of cilantro."