Pickled Shrimp with Basil
Red wine vinegar plus the freshness of citrus and basil perk up marinated shrimp with hardly any prep. Serve over greens if you'd like a salad. —James Schend, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating
Makes20 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (31-40 per pound)
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 medium lime, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 5 ingredients. Add shrimp, lemon, lime, onion, sliced basil and capers; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate, covered, up to 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, stir minced basil, salt and pepper into shrimp mixture. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 64 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Pickled Shrimp with Basil in Taste of Home February/March 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.