Pickle Asparagus Salad
Asparagus is our favorite vegetable, so when it's in season, I try every possible way to prepare it. This attractive salad appears on our table often. Pickle juice gives the dressing a distinctive flavor. -Peggy Davies, Canon City, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet pickle
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, sliced
- Place the asparagus and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a bowl. Combine the pickle, oil, lemon juice, pickle juice, chives, salt and pepper; pour over asparagus and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve the asparagus on lettuce-lined plates. Top with tomato and egg slices; drizzle with some of the dressing.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 207 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Salad in Reminisce Extra June 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.