I came up with this recipe after eating a similar dish in a Mexican restaurant. My family enjoys this chicken's slightly spicy flavor...I like its ease of preparation.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green or sweet red pepper
- 1 jar (12 ounces) picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet or wok, saute chicken in oil for 10-12 minutes or until juices run clear. Add onion, celery and pepper; saute until crisp-tender. Add picante sauce, lemon-pepper and salt if desired; simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 229 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 929mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Picante Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook
Oct 17, 2013
I enjoyed how easy this recipe was and the chicken was flavorful. I used a store brand salsa instead of picante and I think next time I will season the chiken with salt and pepper before I brown it. Great recipe. Thank you.