- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds), trimmed and halved
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Cut roast in half; place in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the picante sauce, tomato sauce and taco seasoning; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer 3 cups to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forPicante Beef Roast
"Used a 2-1/2 lb chuck roast which I cut in half, rolled in flour, salt & pepper and seared. Popped it into the crock, poured the sauce on top and cooked for 8 hours on low. It literally fell apart! We really liked the gravy too. Served it w/ roasted potatoes, carrots and onions on the side. Will definitely make again."
"This was good...not as spicey as I expected though. If you like it hot I'd use hot picante and more taco spice."
"This was simple to put together and made a great Sunday dinner."
"Super easy ..super delicious!!!"
"I used a top round roast as I went for what looked best for roasts at our Meat Dept but will definately try with bottom round next time since there's a 30 calorie difference in 5 oz of meat. I also used "reduced sodium" picante, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. I cooked at 275* for 5 hours and it come out fork tender. The "Gravy" was amazing flavor with the roast. I'll definately be fixing this again."
"Absolutely wonderful flavor - I did not brown the beef ahead of time, but don't think I needed to necessarily either. Sauce can stand alone without thickening agent if you're not serving potatoes or rice as a side."
"MMMM. Delicious. And a great out of the pantry dish. Only thing I did different: I browned the meat before putting it in the crock pot."
"Very good and soooooooo easy. We loved it!!"
"Loved it! We did not do the cornstarch and water part."
"easy to make and very pleasing on the palate"