Phyllo-Wrapped Pesto Chicken
Chicken breasts can be a little too plain for holiday dinners. I decided to dress them up by topping the pesto and cheese and then wrapping in phyllo dough. There's nothing ordinary about them!—Gail Humfeld, Newark, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x 9-inch size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (7 ounces each)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 jar (10 ounces) basil pesto
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- Brush two phyllo sheets with butter; stack one sheet on the other. Brush top with butter. Form five additional stacks.
- Flatten chicken; place one piece of chicken on each phyllo stack, with the long side of chicken 1 in. from the long side of the phyllo. Sprinkle with pepper. Place 2 tablespoons pesto on each; top each with a slice of cheese. Fold bottom edge of phyllo over chicken; fold in short sides and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Brush with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and pastry is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 799 calories, 50g fat (21g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 906mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 58g protein.
Originally published as Phyllo Wrapped Chicken with Pesto in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.