Chicken breasts can be a little too plain for holiday dinners. I decided to dress them up by topping the pesto and cheese and then wrapping in phyllo dough. There's nothing ordinary about them!—Gail Humfeld, Newark, Delaware
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x 9-inch size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (7 ounces each)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 jar (10 ounces) basil pesto
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- Brush two phyllo sheets with butter; stack one sheet on the other. Brush top with butter. Form five additional stacks.
- Flatten chicken; place one piece of chicken on each phyllo stack, with the long side of chicken 1 in. from the long side of the phyllo. Sprinkle with pepper. Place 2 tablespoons pesto on each; top each with a slice of cheese. Fold bottom edge of phyllo over chicken; fold in short sides and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Brush with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and pastry is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Phyllo-Wrapped Pesto Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p50