Philly Steak Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups frozen pepper strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound sliced deli roast beef, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 15-17 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook peppers and onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in roast beef; heat through.
- Cut an "X" in the top of each potato; fluff pulp with a fork. Spoon meat mixture into potatoes; sprinkle with cheese.
- Combine mayonnaise and horseradish; spoon over tops.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 747 calories, 35g fat (16g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 987mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 37g protein.
Apr 23, 2014
Found this too dry the first time I made it, but it had promise, so I made it again. The second time, I changed the shredded cheese to Cheez Whiz (it's more authentic that way plus adds more moisture), cooked a clove of garlic with the onions and changed the mayo to sour cream. With the changes, we were much more satisfied with the results. Since I had to make so many changes, I can only give the original recipe 4 stars, but thought the idea of a philly potato ingenius.
May 1, 2013
We enjoyed this. I think I will make additional horseradish sauce next time and put some on the potato under the veggie/beef mixture as well as on top. My husband suggested trying cheese sauce instead of grated cheese to give it more moisture as well. But all in all, very good.
Sep 18, 2012
Quick and easy... My husband said, "It was a do over meal", as in let's eat it again and again.
Nov 17, 2011
Quick, easy, and filling. I substituted one fresh jalepeno for the bell pepper strips and used thinly sliced round steak in lieu of more expensive deli meat. Sour cream instead of mayo as well. My husband was full and enjoyed the meal. Will be sure to make again.
Aug 27, 2011
This was a super easy recipe. Our two dinner guests raved about the flavors, and they requested the recipe.
Oct 30, 2009
Very good. I used really large baking potatoes. They were too big & the potato was very dry. So use large, but not extra large potatoes.