Philly Cheese Fakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 medium green peppers, sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, green peppers and onion. Pour dressing over vegetables; toss to coat.
- Transfer to two 15x10x1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once.
- Divide mushroom mixture among buns and top with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 344 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Apr 11, 2011
it was great ilove it
Apr 5, 2011
absolutely amazing! the smoked paprika is wonderful, i had never used this spice before... but it was fabulous!! I have found a new favorite meal!!
Apr 4, 2011
Could not find shiitake mushrooms, so I just grabbed the only fresh mushrooms we could find in our rural grocery store (don't know what kind they were). My husband wasn't a fan--the thought of a vegitarian meal was too much for him--but I though it was great! Made it for Mom too & it went over well. A creative take on an old favorite!
Apr 4, 2011
This is such a good recipe! My daughter, who "hates mushrooms" just loved it! She didn't know it had mushrooms in it! I would make this again in a heartbeat!
Apr 3, 2011
This was so good, my husband didn't even mind that it was meatless.
May 17, 2010
made this last night with a few alterations... I didn't have lemon and couldn't find the paprika I just bought (grrr) and shitakes are too expensive for MY pocketbookso I used cremini mushrooms - I tossed the veggies with olive oil, salt & pepper and a splash of worcestershire - then did everything else the same EXCEPT I was afraid it wouldn't have enough flavor without the lemon and paprika - so I made garlic bread out of the roll and toasted itI REALLY liked this for a quick meatless meal - I will totally make it again!!
Apr 8, 2010
Could not find shitake mushroolms, so used portobellas instead. They turned out delicious and the vegetarian in the family got a big kick out of the name.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.