Philly Beef ‘n’ Pepper Strata
Here's a mouthwatering entree for brunch, lunch or dinner that's quick to fix. It combines several convenient ingredients for a large casserole that's pleasing to all who try it. —Betty Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 7 cups cubed Italian bread
- 3-3/4 cups julienned sweet red, yellow and/or green peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 pound cooked roast beef, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place a third of the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with a third of the peppers, onion, roast beef and cheese. Repeat layers twice. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.