Philadelphia Beef Sandwich Recipe
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup concentrated au jus sauce
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 3 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 7 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut bread in half. Carefully hollow out bottom and top of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine water and au jus sauce; bring to a boil. Add beef. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 3 minutes or until meat is heated through. Remove beef with a slotted spoon; reserving 1/4 cup au jus.
- 3. Spoon the onion and green pepper onto the bread bottom. Top with beef; drizzle with reserved au jus. Spread with horseradish sauce and top with cheese.
- 4. Transfer to a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace bread top. Cut into six wedges with a serrated knife. Yield: 6 servings.
1 wedge: 412 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1691mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Philadelphia Beef Sandwich
"Really good and totally foolproof! I made it for the Superbowl, and I'm planning on making it again very soon. I omitted the horseradish sauce and just dabbed some mayo on instead."
"Simply delicious!!! Made a couple of minor changes... Used a long loaf of Italian bread which I cut into five pieces. Also used two packets of brown gravy instead of the au jus sauce cause I couldn't find it at the store. These were a bit on the messy side, but they really were sooo good. Can't wait to make them again!"