This is the ideal family-pleasing sandwich to wrap, pack and take to a deck or tailgating party. Green peppers, onions and melted cheese with beef is a great flavor combination.
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup concentrated au jus sauce
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 3 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 7 slices mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread in half. Carefully hollow out bottom and top of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine water and au jus sauce; bring to a boil. Add beef. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 3 minutes or until meat is heated through. Remove beef with a slotted spoon; reserving 1/4 cup au jus.
- Spoon the onion and green pepper onto the bread bottom. Top with beef; drizzle with reserved au jus. Spread with horseradish sauce and top with cheese.
- Transfer to a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace bread top. Cut into six wedges with a serrated knife. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Philadelphia Beef Sandwich in Simple & Delicious June/July 2012, p24
Reviews for Philadelphia Beef Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review