Philadelphia Beef Sandwich
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup concentrated au jus sauce
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 3 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 7 slices mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread in half. Carefully hollow out bottom and top of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine water and au jus sauce; bring to a boil. Add beef. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 3 minutes or until meat is heated through. Remove beef with a slotted spoon; reserving 1/4 cup au jus.
- Spoon the onion and green pepper onto the bread bottom. Top with beef; drizzle with reserved au jus. Spread with horseradish sauce and top with cheese.
- Transfer to a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace bread top. Cut into six wedges with a serrated knife.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 412 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1691mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 3, 2014
Really good and totally foolproof! I made it for the Superbowl, and I'm planning on making it again very soon. I omitted the horseradish sauce and just dabbed some mayo on instead.
May 14, 2012
Simply delicious!!! Made a couple of minor changes... Used a long loaf of Italian bread which I cut into five pieces. Also used two packets of brown gravy instead of the au jus sauce cause I couldn't find it at the store. These were a bit on the messy side, but they really were sooo good. Can't wait to make them again!