Pheasant with Cranberry Sauce Recipe
"My Uncle Stanley, an avid hunter and fisherman, encouraged me to try game cooking, and this recipe is one of my successes," relates Sharon Shamosh from Rockville Center, New York. The tangy orange-cranberry sauce that complements the tender meat makes it ideal for the holidays.
- 1 pheasant (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1. Sprinkle cavity of pheasant with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place pheasant on a rack in shallow roasting pan. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting with pan juices frequently.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, orange juice and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until the berries begin to pop, stirring frequently. Stir in the orange peel. Simmer 5 minutes longer. Cover pheasant with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Serve sauce with pheasant. Yield: 3 servings.
1 each: 619 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 4g fiber), 54g protein.
Reviews for Pheasant with Cranberry Sauce
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC