Pheasant with Cranberry Sauce
"My Uncle Stanley, an avid hunter and fisherman, encouraged me to try game cooking, and this recipe is one of my successes," relates Sharon Shamosh from Rockville Center, New York. The tangy orange-cranberry sauce that complements the tender meat makes it ideal for the holidays.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 pheasant (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- Sprinkle cavity of pheasant with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place pheasant on a rack in shallow roasting pan. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting with pan juices frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, orange juice and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until the berries begin to pop, stirring frequently. Stir in the orange zest. Simmer 5 minutes longer. Cover pheasant with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Serve sauce with pheasant.