Petite Apricot Pastries Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups ground walnuts
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) apricot cake and pastry filling
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add yeast mixture and egg yolks; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Combine walnuts and remaining sugar; set aside.
- 2. Divide dough into thirds. Between waxed paper, roll one portion into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups walnut mixture. Roll out second portion of dough; place over walnut layer. Spread apricot filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll out remaining portion; place over filling.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Beat the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over top; sprinkle with remaining walnut mixture. Cut into 1-in. squares. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-1/2 dozen.
To Make Ahead: Dough can be made a day in advance; cover and refrigerate each portion.
1 piece: 71 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.