Petit Four Quilt
FOR your next quilting bee, crafty gathering or any time at all, serving up this dessert will ensure your occasion's a real blockbuster! To piece together these delectable petit fours, simply cut a purchased pound cake into cubes and cover them with a citrus-flavored glaze. Then blanket the goodies with decorating gel in a colorful Dutchman's Puzzle design. Follow the easy "pattern" here, and you'll sew up treats in not time!
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1 package (2 pounds) confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- Pink, blue, yellow and green decorating gel or colors of your choice
- 11 inch square serving board
- Purple gift wrap
- Clear cellophane
- Cover the 11-inch square board with purple gift wrap, taping the wrap on the back side of the board. Cover and the wrapped board with clear cellophane in the same way. Set the board aside.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of the pound cake to make it level. Split the cake in half horizontally. Cut each half into 20 squares.
- Place a rack in a 15x10x1-inch pan. Arrange the cake squares 1/2 inch apart on the rack.
- In a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and orange extract. Beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high until smooth.
- Apply the glaze evenly over the tops and sides of the squares, allowing the excess glaze to drip off. Allow the glaze to dry. Repeat if necessary to thoroughly coat the squares. Let them dry completely.
- Save four of the petit fours for another use. Arrange the remaining petit fours in a square shape on the covered board as shown in the photo above.
- With decorating gel, decorate the petit four to look like a Dutchman's Puzzle quilt pattern as shown in the photo. Or create another quilt pattern of your choice.