- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1-3/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 drops green food coloring
- Assorted jelly beans
- 1 stick black licorice, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch strips
- Mix and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For bunny's head, place one cake on a 20-in. x 14-in. covered board. Cut remaining cake into two ears and one bow tie (see Fig. 1). Place ears 4-in. apart on top of head. Place bow tie so it fits in curve of head (see photo).
- Frost top and sides of head, ears and bow tie. Sprinkle 1-1/4 cups coconut over head and ears. Divide remaining coconut between two resealable plastic bags; add red food coloring to one bag and green to the other. Seal bags and shake to coat. Place pink coconut on ears to within 1/2 in of the edges. Place green coconut around the cake.
- Use jelly beans for eyes, nose and to decorate bow tie. Cut the licorice into seven 2-in. pieces and seven 3/4-in. pieces. Place six 2-in. pieces next to nose for whiskers. Bend the remaining 2-in. piece into a semicircle and place 3/4 in. below nose for mouth. Connect nose to mouth with one 3/4-in. pieces. Place three 3/4-in. pieces above each eye for eyelashes. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forPeter Rabbit Cake
"I have made this every Easter since 1962. I enjoyed decorating it as a child, my children loved decorating it and now my grand children enjoy decorating the Easter Bunny cake."
"We loved the cake, but my kids do not like coconut so i shaved white dipping choclate for the coconut. It was really good. thanks for the recipe. Loved his jelly bean jacket."
"This was quite easier than I had thought. It's a great recipe and my granddaughter loved helping me to decorate it. Thanks for sharing!"