Pesto Veggie Stacks Recipe
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 8 slices eggplant or large zucchini (3-1/2 inches diameter)
- 4 slices tomato (3-inch diameter)
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1. Place the first five ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add 1/2 cup oil in a steady stream until combined. Set pesto aside.
- 2. Place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant in the flour, then in eggs, then roll in crumbs. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet; fry eggplant in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Place four eggplant slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Top each with a tomato slice, 1 tablespoon cheese, 2 teaspoons pesto and remaining eggplant. (Cover and refrigerate remaining pesto for another use). Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 260 calories, 20g fat (4g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Pesto Veggie Stacks
"A fantastic way to eat eggplant!"
"This was a hit! I used store bought pesto because making it here overseas would be difficult. It tastes amazing and is easy to prepare. I like the idea of using different kinds of cheese, I may venture out the next time I make it. I'm sure this will be a regular meal for us!"
"These are one of our favorite meals. We have also used mozza instead of feta and we fry the zucchini on a griddle instead of using the oil. Highly recommend!"
"I made these with eggplant & followed the recipe except I used mozzarella instead of the feta. My husband is not fond of eggplant but enjoyed them and said he would eat them again!!! YIPEE!! I could not stay our of them I truly loved them.I am making them again tonight but w/a purchased pesto. REALLY worth trying if you like eggplant."