Pesto Veggie Stacks
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 5 min.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 8 slices eggplant or large zucchini (3-1/2 inches diameter)
- 4 slices tomato (3-inch diameter)
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Place the first five ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add 1/2 cup oil in a steady stream until combined. Set pesto aside.
- Place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant in the flour, then in eggs, then roll in crumbs. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet; fry eggplant in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Place four eggplant slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Top each with a tomato slice, 1 tablespoon cheese, 2 teaspoons pesto and remaining eggplant. (Cover and refrigerate remaining pesto for another use). Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 260 calories, 20g fat (4g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Aug 15, 2012
A fantastic way to eat eggplant!
Aug 5, 2011
This was a hit! I used store bought pesto because making it here overseas would be difficult. It tastes amazing and is easy to prepare. I like the idea of using different kinds of cheese, I may venture out the next time I make it. I'm sure this will be a regular meal for us!
Aug 27, 2009
These are one of our favorite meals. We have also used mozza instead of feta and we fry the zucchini on a griddle instead of using the oil. Highly recommend!
Aug 10, 2009
I made these with eggplant & followed the recipe except I used mozzarella instead of the feta. My husband is not fond of eggplant but enjoyed them and said he would eat them again!!! YIPEE!! I could not stay our of them I truly loved them.I am making them again tonight but w/a purchased pesto. REALLY worth trying if you like eggplant.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.