Pesto Roast Beef Sub
In this scrumptious sandwich, I dress up deli roast beef with a fast-to-fix pesto.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- For pesto, in a food processor, combine the basil, Parmesan cheese, pickle, vinegar, mustard and garlic; cover and process until chopped. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream; process until blended.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half horizontally. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread two-thirds of the pesto inside shell; layer with beef, cheese, tomato and spinach. Spread remaining pesto over cut side of bread top; place over sandwich. Cut into slices to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 312 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 703mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Roast Beef and Basil Sub Sandwich in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.