Pesto Pork Roast
"I came up with this recipe when I was left with a bit of pesto from another recipe and also had an abundance of tomatoes from the garden," Jennifer Magrey relates from Sterling, Connecticut. "I serve a green salad with fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinaigrette on the side."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 12 plum tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 package (16 ounces) egg noodles
- For pesto, in a blender, combine 1/4 cup oil, basil, cheese and garlic. Cover and process until blended. Remove 2 tablespoons pesto to a small bowl; stir in remaining oil and set aside.
- Cut each tomato into four slices; place in a greased shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle remaining pepper and salt over roast; place over tomato slices. Spread remaining pesto over roast.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain and place in a large bowl. With a slotted spoon, add tomatoes to noodles; add reserved pesto and toss to coat. Serve with pork.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 584 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 43g protein.
Originally published as Pesto Parmesan Pork Roast with Roasted Roma Tomato in Taste of Home June/July 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.