Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, egg, sugar, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach, basil, garlic, walnuts, cheese and pepper in a food processor; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Spread pesto to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 rolls.
- Place rolls cut side up in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
1 bun: 181 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.