Pesto Pasta Salad
We grow a large crop of basil each summer and make dozens of jars of pesto sauce to use in dishes such as this salad. You'll love the combination of garlic and herbs.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta, cooked, drained and cooled
- 1 cup julienned fully cooked ham
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup julienned zucchini
- 1 cup cubed Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped radishes
- 1 can (6 ounces) medium pitted ripe olives, drained and halved
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- PESTO DRESSING:
- 3 to 5 garlic cloves
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cups grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup whole almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first 13 ingredients; set aside. For dressing, process garlic in a blender or food processor until finely chopped. Add basil, cheese, slivered almonds, salt, tarragon, pepper and sugar. Process 15-30 seconds or until coarsely chopped. With the motor running, gradually add oil until mixture is smooth. Add vinegar and process until blended. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Just before serving, add whole almonds.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 315 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Pesto Pasta Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.