Pesto Mushroom Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 5-10 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, for pesto, combine the basil, nuts, garlic, salt and Parmesan cheese in a blender or food processor; cover and process until well blended. While processing, gradually add remaining oil in a stream. Spoon over chicken. Top each with a slice of mozzarella. Sprinkle mushrooms around chicken. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 425 calories, 31g fat (5g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 484mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Sep 1, 2010
This was wonderful and so quick and easy to make. A great meal for the summer. I poached the chicken. Then I fried the mushrooms in butter, put the chicken on the mushrooms, covered with pesto and mozzarella, covered the pan and left it over low heat until the cheese melted. Delicious. Nice enough to serve for company.
Dec 8, 2008
I love pesto and chicken breasts..so I am going to give this a try. Shirley H.