“These muffins remind me of my trip to Italy," says Cheryl H. of Columbus, Ohio. "They make great light bites at a buffet or party. I often freeze extra basil so I can enjoy them during cooler months.” TASTY TIP Pair the tasty muffins with a hearty bowl of soup when the air gets nippy…or wrap several with some cream cheese spreads for a quick hostess gift, Cheryl suggests.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, broth and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon cheese. Fold the basil, walnuts, garlic and remaining cheese into batter. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full; sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 153 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Isabella's Pesto Muffins in Light & Tasty August/September 2007