Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes4 main course or 12-16 appetizer servings
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- For pesto, combine the first six ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread each with 2 tablespoons pesto to within 1/2 in. of the edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; secure with a toothpick or small metal skewer.
- Place chicken in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; brush with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or meat is no longer pink. Remove toothpicks or skewers. Serve warm as a main course.
- For an appetizer, cool for 15 minutes, then refrigerate until chilled. Cut cold chicken into 1/2-in. slices.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 332 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Mar 16, 2010
I used bottled pesto instead of making my own. It was pretty good, but I wasn't sure how to roll it up without losing much of the pesto. Overall, it was a very simple recipe to make & pop in the oven.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.