"Because my job shift ends at 7 p.m., I need to get dinner on the table fast," explains Linda Sweet, Newark, Delaware. "I double this dish for my family. It's great hot or cold. Try it with cooked shrimp instead of chicken," she adds.
Recommended: 50 Pasta Recipes from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti or uncooked small tube pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 envelope pesto sauce mix
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Cook pasta according to package directions; add peas and carrots during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the pesto mix, cornstarch and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta mixture; place in a large serving bowl. Add the chicken mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pesto Chicken Pesto in Quick Cooking July/August 2004, p43