Pesto Bean Soup
This is one of my favorite vegetarian recipes, especially on those cold winter evenings. I make large batches and freeze it. Homemade pesto is tasty, but you can use store-bought to make the recipe really simple. Serve the soup with garlic toast and a green salad. —Liz Bellville, Jacksonville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 cans (15 to 15-1/2 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup prepared pesto, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 5 ingredients. Stir in 1/2 cup pesto. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 4-6 hours. Before serving, stir in reserved pesto and cheese. If desired, serve with additional cheese and pesto.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 244 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 8g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Pesto Bean Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.