Do you want a pot roast with big, old-fashioned flavor, that does not serve eight? Then try this one that I enjoy making for husband, Art, and myself.—Marian Platt, Sequim, Washington
Recommended: 14 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes for Four
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 beef shanks (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 pearl onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle meat with 1 tablespoon flour; place in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Mix 1 cup water, broth, soup mix, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and thyme; pour over meat. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Turn meat; add the potato, carrots and onions. Cover; return to oven for 30-45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables and keep warm.
- To prepare gravy, skim fat from pan juices. Measure 1 cup of the juices and place in a small saucepan. Combine remaining flour and cold water; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with meat and vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Midget Pot Roast in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p22
Reviews forPersonal Pot Roasts
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 2, 2011
"This is wonderful----a real man pleaser."
Reviewed Mar. 23, 2010
"All of your recipes should include nutrition information."