Persimmon Squash Pie Recipe
I created this recipe for our local persimmon festival, using homegrown squash. I like to make two pies and use more toffee bits and pecans for garnish.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe persimmon pulp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CARAMEL TOPPING:
- 30 caramels
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 1. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- 2. In a blender, combine the buttermilk, squash and persimmon pulp; cover and process until smooth.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cream, butter, vanilla and squash mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 5. Pour into pastry shell. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 6. In a small saucepan, combine caramels and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until melted and smooth. Pour over hot pie. Sprinkle with pecans and toffee bits. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 578 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Persimmon Squash Pie
Reviewed Nov. 27, 2011
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC