Persimmon Pudding Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups ripe persimmon pulp
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, sugar, vanilla and salt; mix well. Stir in butter. Combine flour, cinnamon and baking soda; add to milk mixture. Fold in persimmon pulp, dates, coconut and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 259 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 22, 2013
I've made Plum Pudding over the holidays for years and everyone raves over it. This year, I had an over abundance of Persimmons and decided to try this recipe, for a change of pace. IT WAS HORRIBLE! The cake did not come out anything like my Plum Pudding cake! It was RAW AND GOOEY on the inside and nearly burnt on the outside. It left such a bad taste in everyone's palate, they made me throw the whole cake out, and refused to eat anything with persimmons in it this year.
Jan 17, 2013
I really liked it, made it with some frozen persimmons I have been buying at a speciality foods store. Once you let them defrost, they really work well when you turn them into the pulp you need for this recipe.
Dec 6, 2010
YUMMY!! Rich and heavy. You only need a small slice. Whipped cream is a nice addition. My first experience cooking with persimmons and I picked the right receipe to do it.