Persian Poached Pears
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min. + chilling
- 2 medium firm pears
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 2 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon peel strip
- 1 whole clove
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
- Core pears from the bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; cut 1/4 in. from the bottom of each to level if necessary. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, grape juice, apricots, sugar, honey, lemon strip, clove, vanilla bean and seeds. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; place pears on their sides in saucepan and poach, uncovered, for 18-22 minutes or until pears are almost tender, basting occasionally with poaching liquid.
- Remove pears and apricots with a slotted spoon; cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate. Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup. Discard the vanilla bean, lemon strip and clove. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place pears on dessert plates. Drizzle with poaching liquid. Sprinkle with apricots and almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 7g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 24, 2017
easy and quick and a nice dessert if you are vegan or gluten free. I added about 1 tps lemon juice just because it suited my taste.
Sep 28, 2013
My husband is from Persia and absolutely loved it! Definitely a "Taste of Home" for him!''
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.