Persian Poached Pears
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min. + chilling
- 2 medium firm pears
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 2 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon peel strip
- 1 whole clove
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
- Core pears from the bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; cut 1/4 in. from the bottom of each to level if necessary. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, grape juice, apricots, sugar, honey, lemon strip, clove, vanilla bean and seeds. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; place pears on their sides in saucepan and poach, uncovered, for 18-22 minutes or until pears are almost tender, basting occasionally with poaching liquid.
- Remove pears and apricots with a slotted spoon; cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate. Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup. Discard the vanilla bean, lemon strip and clove. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place pears on dessert plates. Drizzle with poaching liquid. Sprinkle with apricots and almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 7g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 24, 2017
easy and quick and a nice dessert if you are vegan or gluten free. I added about 1 tps lemon juice just because it suited my taste.
Sep 28, 2013
My husband is from Persia and absolutely loved it! Definitely a "Taste of Home" for him!''