- 4 large potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Maple syrup or applesauce
- Peel and shred potatoes; place in a bowl of cold water. Line a colander with cheese cloth or paper towels. Drain potatoes into cloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, flour, onion, salt and pepper.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil, about 3 in. apart. Press lightly to flatten. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Top with maple syrup or applesauce. Yield: about 16 pancakes.
Reviews forPerfect Potato Pancakes
"My friend wanted potato pancakes like his mom used to make. That is a tall order! So I trusted taste of home for a good recipe. Well, I found it! These are perfect, only change is I add butter to my oil to fry. Crispy, crunchy, salty..just delicious, can't stop eating them. Leftovers crisped up nice in the toaster oven. Will make again & again."
"Very good potato pancake...I served with fried eggs and bacon!"
"These fried up perfect and golden."
"I grew up eating these. My mom made them all the time, only she fried them in a heavily buttered pan. I like the extra flavor that butter gives them. Of course, being Ukrainian we always ate them with sour cream. Yum Yum!"
"Very, very good! I cut the recipe in half. Really light and crispy. Loved them! Thanks for this recipe."
"OH MY GOSH........just made these right now & they're SO good! I will definately be making them again!"