Perfect Pizza Crust
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Pizza toppings of your choice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, 1 cup bread flour and the whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; roll into a 15-in. circle. Grease a 14-in. pizza pan and sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough to prepared pan; build up edges slightly. Add toppings of your choice.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and toppings are lightly browned and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 193 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Oct 30, 2014
I had my 7th grade Home and Careers class use this recipe when we did a pizza lab. We substituted the bread flour for all-purpose flour. It came out great! The kids always associated whole wheat with being gross, they had no complaints about their finished pizza though! I would make this at home in the future too.
Dec 22, 2013
Great for pizza! Tasted great with my toppings and very good!
Dec 20, 2013
it is easy and taste great!
Nov 22, 2013
My go-to pizza crust recipe. Just made again for supper. Have been making this since it was published in 2009. After it rises I usually divide the dough in 2 and do one for pizza and make garlic fingers with the other.
Oct 30, 2012
My family loves this recipe! It is our go-to pizza crust. I usually throw in a little garlic powder and oregano with the flour. I'll also add rosemary if I have it available.
Dec 18, 2011
We love pizza, and to date our favorite recipe is from Cooks Illustrated. It was fun to try something different, but I won't make this again. I found it too thick and "doughy". The whole wheat added a slight bitterness. I like to eat healthy, but I'll keep my pizza nights an indulgence.
Nov 16, 2011
<p>this is my family's #1 favorite pizza crust recipe! We compare it to Rocky's whole wheat crust. It is soooo good! I make it using my kitchenaid mixer with dough hook, and don't even knead it by hand. I usually use a 11x15 inch pan, let it raise for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours and bake it a little first before I add anything on top - it turns out so tender and perfect!</p>
Jun 13, 2011
This was okay. Have made it a few times, not our favorite pizza crust but decent.
Jun 4, 2011
i make this at the boys camp I work at and it is a huge hit every time! Seems I can never make enough!! Fantastic recipe!
Apr 19, 2011
We loved this pizza crust. I even had to substitute normal flour for the bread flour and it still came out wonderful!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.