Perfect Gravy Recipe
- Turkey giblets and neck bone
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup white wine or water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place the giblets, neck bone, broth, onions, carrots, wine, celery leaves, garlic and bay leaf in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- 2. Strain and discard giblets, neck bone, vegetables and bay leaf. Set cooking juices aside; cool slightly. (Refrigerate if made ahead.)
- 3. Just before serving, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 cups.
Possible romance: For more flavor, stir in turkey drippings if desired.
2 tablespoons: 46 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.