My old fashioned gravy is the finishing touch to my family's holiday meal. Sliced turkey and mashed potatoes just wouldn't be complete with out this savory topping. —Sharon Adamczyk, Wind Lake, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 25 min.
- Turkey giblets and neck bone
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup white wine or water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the giblets, neck bone, broth, onions, carrots, wine, celery leaves, garlic and bay leaf in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Strain and discard giblets, neck bone, vegetables and bay leaf. Set cooking juices aside; cool slightly. (Refrigerate if made ahead.)
- Just before serving, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Possible romance: For more flavor, stir in turkey drippings if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 46 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Perfect Gravy in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.