Peppy Meatball Subs
A store in town used to sell the most amazing meatball subs. When I discovered they no longer offered them. I decided to get creative and make my own. My husband and young children love my version. - Cristine Costello, Sonora, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 submarine or hoagie buns, split
- 1 jar (11-1/2 ounces) pepperoncini, drained and sliced, optional
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained, optional
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and thinly sliced red onion, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce, egg, bread crumbs, onion, red pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, turning once; drain.
- Transfer to a large saucepan; add remaining spaghetti sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Spoon meatballs and sauce onto bun bottoms. Top with pepperoncini, olives, Parmesan cheese and red onion if desired. Replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 741 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 2663mg sodium, 100g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 8g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Peppy Meatball Subs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.