Peppy Cheese Bread
"I enjoy entertaining and find this zippy cheese bread complements most meals," writes Leslie Sheldon-Kloss of Quakertown, Pennsylvania. "It's easy to assemble before guests arrive," she adds.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread in half lengthwise. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, onion and chili powder. Cover and microwave on high for
- 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until the onion is tender, stirring once.
- Spread over cut side of bottom of bread. Sprinkle with cheeses. Replace bread top; wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Slice and serve warm.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 239 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Peppy Cheese Bread in Quick Cooking May/June 2000