Peppery Sweet Potato Bread
I love experimenting with leftovers. There are a lot of tasty twists on sweet potatoes, but my favorite way to repurpose them is in this delicious quick bread. The loaves freeze well and make a great gift. —Katie Ferrier, Houston, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus 1-1/2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, sweet potatoes, orange juice, applesauce, oil, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- Transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Spicy Sweet Potato Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.