I love to bake, and spend most of my time at it. I have a job as a baker and keep my family supplied with baked goods. May father-in-law said he'd love a cookie that was "real snappy," so I combined recipes to get this one.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light molasses
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- Combine first seven ingredients; set aside. In a bowl, beat the brown sugar, molasses, butter and egg. Stir in dry ingredients; mix well. Chill for 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in sugar and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes. Cool cookies about 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 46 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Peppery Snaps in Country Extra November 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.