I love to bake, and spend most of my time at it. I have a job as a baker and keep my family supplied with baked goods. May father-in-law said he'd love a cookie that was "real snappy," so I combined recipes to get this one.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light molasses
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- Combine first seven ingredients; set aside. In a bowl, beat the brown sugar, molasses, butter and egg. Stir in dry ingredients; mix well. Chill for 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in sugar and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes. Cool cookies about 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 46 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Peppery Snaps in Country Extra November 1992