Peppery Shrimp and Rice
"This recipe has evolved over the years to satisfy my husband's yearning for shrimp over rice, which he enjoyed while growing up in Louisiana," writes Cynthia Schaible Boyll of Loveland, Ohio. Chili sauce and red pepper flakes give a Cajun kick to this pretty, palatable dish.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 3/4 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute celery and onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add peppers; cook 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, sherry, chili sauce, sugar, basil, oregano and pepper flakes if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add shrimp; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 428 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 913mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Peppery Shrimp and Rice in Light & Tasty February/March 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.