"This bread gets a flavor boost from minced onion and black pepper," says Dale Rosenthal. "It's very good toasted and served with steak or spaghetti," suggests the Austin, Minnesota cook.
Recommended: Fish Fry Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds).
Originally published as Peppery Onion Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p33