Peppery Grilled Turkey Breast Recipe
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (5 pounds)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper jelly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cayenne and mustard. With fingers, carefully loosen the skin from both sides of turkey breast. Spread half of spice mixture under turkey skin; secure skin to underside of breast with wooden toothpicks. Spread remaining spice mixture over the skin.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place turkey over drip pan, grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 30 minutes.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine the broth, vinegar, jelly and oil. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until jelly is melted. Set aside 1/2 cup. Baste turkey with some of the remaining jelly mixture. Grill 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting every 15 minutes.
- 4. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove and discard turkey skin if desired. Brush with reserved jelly mixture before slicing. Yield: 15 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 167 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 565mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.