Peppery Black Bean Salsa Recipe
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 medium sweet red or orange pepper, diced
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. Place jalapenos on a broiler pan; broil 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 2 minutes. With tongs, rotate jalapenos a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place jalapenos in a brown paper bag and let stand 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Finely chop jalapenos. In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add jalapenos; mix well. Cover and chill for several hours. Yield: 12 servings.
1/2 cup: 93 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable.
Reviews for Peppery Black Bean Salsa
"Used green pepper instead of red or orange. I made a half recipe and found that I only needed 1/4 of a red onion (full recipe would call for a 1/2 of one), but we don't like the taste of raw onion. I made it the day before and the flavors blended nicely, but I think I would have preferred to have cooked the canned beans a little before making this to get a smoother texture. I also don't think roasting the jalapeno was worth it, next time I'll just chop it raw."
"I thought it needed a little more liquid so I added some olive oil and red wine vinegar. I also added more garlic and a little cumin. Yum!"
"Absolutely delicious! I served this with grilled chicken."