Pepperoni ‘n’ Tomato Pasta
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni, quartered
- 4 cups uncooked ziti or bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, bay leaves, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in pepperoni. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a large serving bowl. Discard bay leaves from sauce; stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 450 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1357mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Sep 10, 2011
Aside from not having the fennel this was a quick and easy meal to prepare. I served this over whole wheat bow tie pasta and didn't bother with the mozzarella sprinkled on top.
Apr 28, 2011
I thought 8 servings would be too much so I cut the recipe in half. I thought it was delicious. The flavor was excellent and it was very easy to make. I wouldn't change a thing. My kids ate it, however, they picked out the green pepper, tomatoes, and mushrooms.
Mar 3, 2011
Made half of the recipe for two of us; then made the full reciped for a Senior dinner and came home with very little. Super taste; the pepperoni and the red pepper flakes give it a spicey taste. I like what others have said they put in it. I'm sure it would only enhance it. Love it and plan on passing this recipe around.
Mar 1, 2011
I made it; we ate it ... and ate it. Even my co-workers loved the leftovers. I added some Italian sausage, black olives and artichoke hearts to my sauce and used penne pasta (since that's what I had on hand). My Italian husband said it's a winner.
Feb 26, 2011
My whole family loved this!! I added a bit of browned hamburger to make it a bit meatier for my guys.
Feb 25, 2011
I printed the recipe out to make this weekend. This is very similar to my fave dish at our local restaurant - although they also put crumbled It. sausage and olives in it & use penne pasta - they call it Penne Rustica & charge $14.95
Feb 23, 2011
how about nutritional values?
Feb 21, 2011
This is fabulous - def make again and perfect just the way it is!
Feb 21, 2011
I made this ewcipe today and it was wonderful. You can change the recipe any way you like, that doesn't mean there is something wrong with it. I omited the mushrooms because I have an alergy to them. My husband also loved it..Can't wait to share it with my friends.
Feb 21, 2011
This takes a little effort, but well worth it...yum!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.